Friday, January 21, 2011

Sowing seeds...take two!

Yesterday, I wrote my first blog entry.  I've been so distracted lately that I just needed to get out some words to get going in the blogging world - a promise to my good friends Teresa and Dalyn.


In retrospect and re-reading my entry, I realize it's too easy to hide behind WORDS.  Yes, we wait with anticipation to sow seeds and grow our garden.  And yes, this winter seems to be wearing on us a bit more than other years,  but the whole idea of  "Sowing Seeds" carries much more meaning.  The blog name of "Simply Sowing" sprouts from that which we base our entire purpose as a family.


The sowing we hope to achieve isn't just with vegetable seeds we place tenderly in the garden.  The type of sowing we hope to accomplish isn't bound by seasons either.  In fact, we can plant these seeds during an icy blizzard just as well as during a beautiful spring day.


Seeds of kindness, mercy, patience, peace, love...


Ahh, well, isn't that sweet? As one of my coffee mugs states - "Sow seeds of kindness, watch love grow."  Some days, I want to shatter that mug.


When I wake up in the morning, I have every intention of sowing seeds of kindness, mercy, patience, peace, and love.  But it gets a little more difficult when I find that one of our kids forgot to close the gate to the haybarn, unintentionally allowing the sheep freedom to gorge themselves on the baled hay.  But they are our children, so it's easy to forgive and move on.


What of others we encounter on a daily basis?  I wish it were as easy as planting a radish seed in the springtime.  The truth is, sometimes people are so cold and icy, I think: "Why plant a seed of kindness here?  The seed will only die and my effort will have been wasted."  Then I remember, "It's not about me."  People are hurting, lonely, angry, and afraid.  Their actions speak volumes as they make their way bitterly through life.  What we do, it may never blossom and grow, laying dormant forever.  But then again, if that seed of kindness is given the right environment - warmth, water, sunshine - it WILL grow.  It's not the seed that's in default, it's the nutrients that are lacking.


You know where I'm going with this, right?  Allow the Creator of the world to see to the condition of the "soil".  Our only task here on this earth is to sow.


Simply sow.


My hope and prayer for these blog ramblings is that you be encouraged as I share a bit of how we "sow" in this world.  Whether it be actual seeds planted in the ground, baby goats and sheep born to our farm, or  in the relationships formed while "sowing" seeds of a different nature.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Therefore if you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any common sharing in the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind.  Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves,  not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others." Philipians 2:1-4

2 comments:

  1. I can honestly say I know not another woman who so generously sows...I'm nuts about you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s I was hoping for lots of farm pictures along the sides of this blog...I love your pictures!

    ReplyDelete